Skip to content

Victim Compensation

contact us

Defendants are often incarcerated and unable to pay their court-ordered restitution until their release. Because of this, you may want to consider filing a claim with the Virginia Victims Fund (VVF) in addition to requesting restitution.

If a claim is eligible under VVF, then VVF can pay service providers directly and assist in keeping your related bills out of collections. The VVF can seek restitution from the defendant for the amount it pays on your behalf. Discuss the best option for you with your local Victim/Witness Assistance Program staff.

Qualifying claims can include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Funeral expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Prescriptions
  • Crime scene clean-up
  • Moving
  • Temporary housing
  • Mileage to medical appointments and court-related appointments for child victims
  • Loss of support from a defendant removed from home in domestic violence, child sexual assault cases, or dependents of homicide victims
  • Counseling for direct victims, children who witness domestic violence, or the immediate family of a homicide victim

Further information about the VVF, including benefits, deadlines, and eligibility requirements, may be found online at Please note that the Virginia Department of Corrections is not responsible for this program and does not provide compensation. If you have specific questions, you may contact the VVF directly at 1-800-552-4007.

Return to the top of the page