Skip to content

Reentry Resources

contact us

The Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) provides reentry resources to incarcerated inmates and individuals under community supervision to assist in their transition back into the community. Please view our Reentry Resource Packet for a complete list of resources.

Personal Identification Documents

To assist in the transition process back to the community, it is important to secure personal identification documents that are necessary when applying for benefits, housing, and employment. Documents include: birth certificate, social security card, and driver’s license or state-issued ID card.

If you need to secure or replace multiple documents, it will be helpful to apply for your documents in the following order:

  1. Birth Certificate

    To request a copy of your birth certificate, contact the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Vital Records. If you were born in another state, contact the vital records office in the state where you were born.

  2. Social Security Card

    To secure a replacement social security card, follow the prompts and complete the questionnaire outlined on the Social Security Administration website.

  3. State ID or Driver's License

    Contact the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles for information on how to apply for a Virginia state ID or driver's license.


Obtaining housing is an important step in the reentry process. Additionally, establishing a residence is required for obtaining employment, benefits, and various services. We have provided the following resources to assist individuals who are in need of housing following incarceration.

Community Residential Programs

Community Residential Programs are available to inmates, probationers, and parolees who meet eligibility requirements. Ask your probation officer or counselor about availability.

Oxford House

Oxford House is a self-run, self-supported recovery house program for individuals recovering from alcoholism and drug addiction. All Oxford Houses in Virginia have been listed as Certified Recovery Residences by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS).

Virginia Association of Recovery Residences (VARR)

VARR is an accreditation body which monitors, evaluates, and improves standards for recovery residences. VARR works to ensure that everyone in recovery is able to access programs that offer high quality recovery residences. For more information, please view the full list of accredited recovery residences.


The following resources provide information and services aimed at assisting inmates, probationers, and parolees with locating employment.

Virginia Career Works Center

At each Virginia Career Works Center, individuals receive: one-on-one career counseling, computer access and training, resume-writing assistance, job application assistance, job fair information, and (if eligible) WIOA grant funding to pay for continued job training certifications and paid internships.

Virginia Employment Commission

The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) is the public employment service established to assist employers in finding qualified workers and to assist workers in finding suitable jobs. Services include job referral and placement, referral to training, and job search skill building activities.

Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services

The Division of Rehabilitative Services assists people with physical, mental or emotional disabilities to find, retain or regain high-quality employment. Workforce specialists provide job counseling, preparation, referrals, assistive technology or job accommodations needed to achieve economic self-sufficiency and independence. Learn more about the vocational rehabilitation programs offered and how to apply.

Fair Shake

Fair Shake is an organization committed to increasing reentry success by providing employment and wrap around service opportunities through an interactive website.

Public Benefits

The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) develops and administers programs that provide timely and accurate income support benefits and employment services to families and individuals in the Commonwealth. These programs assist citizens as they transition from dependency on public assistance programs to self-sufficiency. Benefits offered through the VDSS include:

  • Medicaid

    Medicaid, offered by the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS), is a medical assistance program that makes direct payments to health service providers for eligible individuals and families. For information on how to apply online, by mail, or by phone, visit the Virginia Medicaid website.

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

    Formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, SNAP benefits allow eligible individuals to purchase nutritious food items from authorized retailers.

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

    TANF provides temporary financial assistance to eligible families with children to meet their basic needs.

Restoration of Rights

Anyone convicted of a felony in Virginia automatically loses their civil rights - the right to vote, serve on a jury, run for office, become a notary public and carry a firearm. The Constitution of Virginia gives the Governor the sole discretion to restore civil rights, not including firearm rights. Individuals seeking restoration of their civil rights are encouraged to contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s office.

Substance Use Disorder

Listed below are helpful resources for individuals with a history of substance abuse issues:

Medication Assisted Treatment

Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) is the use of FDA approved medications, in combination with counseling and behavioral therapies, to treat opioid or alcohol use disorders. To learn more about this type of treatment, visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) website.

For information about the VADOC’s MAT program, watch the following video — Medication Assisted Treatment Reentry Initiative (MATRI).


Naloxone (brand name Narcan) is an opioid antagonist that is used to temporarily reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. Naloxone is a safe antidote to a suspected opioid overdose and, when given in time, can save a life. Naloxone can be administered nasally or by injection into a muscle or below the skin to a person suspected of an overdose.

Talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or healthcare provider for information on how to obtain Narcan. You may also check with your local health department or community services board to determine how and when you may be able to obtain a NARCAN® Nasal Spray kit at no cost.

SAMHSA National Helpline – 1 (800) 662-HELP

SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders. You may also visit the SAMHSA online treatment locator.

Peer Recovery Services

Certified Peer Recovery Specialists facilitate group programming designed to support probationers and parolees in their recovery while on supervision. Peer Recovery Specialists have lived experience in recovery from substance use and offer their own personal experiences to provide hope to others. For more information, watch the following video — VADOC Peer Recovery Specialist Initiative.

Addiction Center

Addiction Center is an online informational guide for individuals who are struggling with substance abuse disorders. This website offers a wide range of information and resources on addiction, treatment, and recovery. Learn more about addiction support groups or connect to treatment resources in your area.

VADOC Fentanyl Awareness Video

In response to the ongoing fentanyl poisoning and opioid epidemic occurring throughout Virginia, the VADOC has developed a Fentanyl Overdose Awareness video featuring Virginia families who have lost loved ones due to fentanyl.

Additional Resources

Reentry Video

Watch the video, Reentry and the Cognitive Community, for an overview of the VADOC's intensive reentry process and program.

State Caregiver Guide

View our Caregiver Guide for information and resources to assist families and caregivers of children with incarcerated parents.

211 Virginia

Contact 211 Virginia to find resources in your area. Information on how to access food, clothing, housing, childcare, employment, and many other resources are provided.

Return to the top of the page