The Virginia Department of Corrections enhances public safety by controlling and supervising sentenced offenders in a humane, cost-efficient manner, consistent with sound correctional principles and constitutional standards.
Inmates - Incarcerated Offenders
- Offender Management Overview
(the corrections process in Virginia from conviction and sentencing through incarceration and release)
- Institutions Overview
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Offender Locator - locate an offender currently incarcerated in the Virginia state system
For information about inmates incarcerated under the jurisdiction of the US Federal Government, contact (external website) the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The Virginia Department of Corrections does not house any records on federal inmates.
- Offender Accounts
- Inmate Intake & Classification (intake, time computation & facility assignments)
- Inmate Information & Records
- Inmate Programs & Services
- Prison Life (visiting & contacting inmates)
- Out-of-State Incarceration
- Facilities (see that section for information about specific institutions)
Parolees and Probationers - Offenders in the Community
View the Community Corrections portion of our site for more information.